This week the Vagabond continues a little-known history of the local Gadsden Alabama 167th Infantry. Known as the Rainbow Division, it was the unit that Rainbow Drive and Rainbow City were named after.
Robert Elton, Carey Forrest “Bill” Elton’s son, recently donated to the Etowah Historical Society a yearbook about the Alabama 167th Infantry during 1938. We will be showing this yearbook and more about Bill Elton the next few weeks.
More on the 167th Infantry…
“The 167th Infantry Service Company was federally recognized as the Supply Company on July 15, 1916. The unit was re-recognized as the Service Company, Fourth Infantry, on Jan. 7, 1921, and re-designated the Service Company, 167th Infantry, on Dec. 16, 1921, which designation it retains at this time. The station of the unit is Gadsden, Ala.
“The company is well known for its harmonious cooperation with the other units of the regiment in handling supplies and furnishing the regiment with music and entertainment during the summer encampment. For the past several years, the company has been commended for its efficiency on the summer camp.
“In 1929, the company’s band section attended the inauguration of President Hoover, and under the direction of Warrant Officer Mack Farrar participated in the parades and celebrations. On several occasions, the band section has taken part in inaugural ceremonies of various governors of Alabama.
“The company is pleased with its record of furnishing its own officers from its own ranks. Joe Lewis, Grady Leach, Dave Pinson and Cary Elton were once privates in the ranks but are now commissioned officers in the company. Lieutenants Leach and Pinson have been members of the company since its federal recognition. The company is eager to pay tribute to First Sgt. George F. Reese, who was honorably discharged through a physical disability. Reese is still an inspiration to the company.”
Next week: more photos of the 167th.