Casting on the Coosa: A rescue mission and a shout out to The Catch King


 By Marty Dixon/Staff Correspondent

Believe it or not, I managed to catch a few fish this past week. I got our on the water on Friday, and while flipping down a bank on the river I noticed a pontoon boat floating down toward me as other boats drove by. I did not think much of it, but as the pontoon drew closer, I noticed two guys on board moving around. They got close enough to yell at me, so I trolled over. I found out that they had motor trouble, so I threw them a tow line and dragged them to the dock. Those guys had tried to paddle to the bank and swim the boat in, but the cu-rrent would not cooperate.
So, my fishing time on Friday afternoon got cut in half, but it was well worth it. I did manage to catch a two or three flipping in the river grass close to the bridges. I also ran into Eric Hubbard one of the good guys on the lake. We floated in our respective boats and talked a little fishing. Eric also had managed to trick a few fish that day.
I fished early on Saturday until the number of boats got to be more than I could take. I managed to catch a couple of fish by throwing a little of everything but the kitchen sink. I changed rods so many times I’m sure it looked like I was involved in hand-to-hand combat. When the river cleared in the afternoon, I faked out a few fish by flipping a jig around and throwing some plastics in the wood along the river.
Monday and Tuesday were babysitting days until the late afternoon. Grandchildren Anna and Finley had me swimming in the kiddie pool with them until my son Tanner picked them up. Pops had a hard time keeping up with them. Anna put all of my used plastic baits she could gather up in two hands and put them in the kiddie pool.
I fished by myself later on Monday, relaxing a little after the day’s festivities with the grandkids. I managed to land a few fish doing the same thing I’d been doing – flipping a jig with some kind of plastic bait that changes from day to day.
I got out on the lake on Tuesday when Kade “The Catch King” Kitchens picked me up at the dock for some late afternoon fishing. Kade is a fine young man and an excellent fisherman. We caught few decent fish flipping around out on the river. I had a pretty good one run into my lure. We swapped stories about everything from catching two fish on one cast to going swimming after a fish that got hung up in the brush. Kade is fishing in the Toyota Series Tournament from September 2-4.
Be aware that we will have more boaters on the lake next week, starting this Saturday with the participants practicing. We also have the Casting for Cancer Tournament on Wednesday, so next week will be a busy one on the river. Labor Day weekend is also next weekend.
I would like to give ole Kade a shout-out for putting up with my stories, fishing lies and marital advice. Kade is over 30 years my junior and I’m sure he doesn’t know half of what this old man is talking about, but we share a common interest of chasing a little green fish around. With that common denominator, the rest of the stuff seems to be irrelevant.
To put it in perspective, Kade grew up with the internet at his fingertips, while I grew up with five TV channels and had to turn the antenna in order to get reception. I had to use a purple memo graph to print multiple tests during my first year of teaching, while Kade has e-mail and printers at his disposal.
So, there is a major difference in who we are, but none of that makes any difference since we are both focused on trying to catch a fish with a brain the size of a pea. In my case, at least, the fish seem to be smarter. I appreciate the trip, Kade. Next time, perhaps I’ll have better stories and you can get me closer to my pier so I can get out of the boat.
In Tuesday’s tournament, first place went to Pockets and Greg with 5.21 pounds and big fish of 2.96 pounds. Second place went to Sonny and Walter with 5.09 pounds.
In Wednesday’s tournament, first place went to Lynn and Sticks with 5.47 pounds; second place went to Terry Tucker with 4.98 pounds; and third place went to Taylor with 4.66 pounds. He big fish went to Joey and Trent with 2.79 pounds.
Until next time, tight lines and take someone fishing. If you happen to see me out on the lake, come by and say hello.
Marty Dixon is a 1982 Sardis High School graduate and retired high school educator and coach. He was head coach of the Gadsden State women’s basketball team from 2015 to 2019. He and his wife Texann live in Gadsden. He can be contacted at and the Neely Henry Bass Fishing page on Facebook.

Latest News

Blind Glencoe grad receives Lighthouse Guild scholarship
RaceTrac near I-59 in Gadsden installing four EV chargers
ADRS breaks ground on new location in Gadsden
Community mourns death of beloved Harry ‘Shug’ Butler
Southside bridge replacement project underway

Latest Sports News

Southside’s Thompson highlights All-Gadsden Metro boys soccer team
Westbrook's Machen, Southside's Jackson lead off All-Gadsden Metro girls soccer 
Gaston's Bogle, Southside's Webb highlight All-Messenger track and field teams
Power trio highlights All-Messenger softball
Robby Davis has clear vision for Gadsden City baseball program