Casting on the Coosa: The Hurricane takes a bubble bath and concern from The Chief


By Marty Dixon/Staff Correspondent

The Toyota Series Tournament kicked off on Wednesday, and most of all the local guys did well during the first day. Several guys I know or know of were in the top 15. Terry Tucker was sixth, Hunter Hayes seventh, Adam Brown eighth, Lynn Johnson 10th and Kade “The Catch King” Kitchens in 13th place.
All of the top 15 were within two pounds of the lead after Day 1. 10-14 is leading, so the fishing is still tough. When these guys struggle, it has to be tough fishing. Bassmaster winner Jordan Lee only had five pounds, so it is tough on everyone so far.
I look for our local guys to move up on Thursday and make the top 10 finals on Friday. Get out and watch the weigh in at 2:30 p.m. each day. There is plenty of room to social distance and see how it comes out. Unless someone hits the motherload somewhere, it should come down to ounces.
For me this past week, it’s been days of dodging the rain and varied baits. I had a good morning last Thursday (Aug. 27) with two fish over 3.5 pounds. I was out on the water as the sun came up with the only one that can stand me that early – me. I caught the bigger fish on the frog and landed a few small fish flipping wood with a worm out on the river.
I could not get back out on the river until Saturday morning. We kept The Hurricane and The Finmeister overnight, so I slipped out before they got up. I fished with Mitch Morgan, a friend from across the river. We went looking around a while since I’m planning to fish the casting for the cancer tournament this Saturday. I wanted to try a few spots where I had not fished previously. Mitch was good enough to chauffer me around in his boat, which, by the way, is a sweet ride.  I will say that Mitch needs to buy one or two more rods (insert sarcasm here). I think he has more fishing rods than I do. We managed to land few fish before I had to go in and help with the grandchildren.
The company and stories were good. I enjoyed swapping fishing lies – I mean stories – with Mitch. I think he went back out that afternoon and caught several more fish.
When I arrived back at the house, The Hurricane was in a sour mood and not happy with anything. The Fins was happy, as always, but The Hurricane did not want to nap or cooperate. We had to return them to sender early that afternoon. The only thing that would calm that child down was a 20-minute bubble bath. Guys, you might want to remember that the next time your wife ain’t happy. I’m not sure if that is a woman thing with the bubble bath. I will say that it sure worked with the 2.9-year old female.
Last Monday was Try and Beat Pops Down Day. I got on the lake for sanity’s sake following hand-to-hand combat with The Fins and The Hurricane. They were not behaving badly; they just were wide open all day. To be honest, I don’t remember if I caught anything, but did find some solitude. Anna wanted a boat ride, but when Pops has them alone, I can’t get them out on the lake.
I fished both afternoons on Tuesday and Wednesday but did not fish in the tournaments. It’s been a couple of weeks since I fished in a tournament, and The Chief called to see if I was all right. I appreciated him checking up on me. I was fishing, just not competing.
For me, the afternoon bite has been a struggle. I’m just not getting many bites from anything over two pounds. It’s been mainly junk fishing: throwing out everything but the kitchen sink to get a bite. Most of my afternoon bites have been from flipping the grass and the wood out on the river. It’s been tough without much regular water flow. I think I’ll get out in the morning while the Toyota guys are out. I need to try and find a morning bite for the Saturday’s tournament.
In Tuesday’s tournament, first place went to Mi-cah and Derick with 5.85 pounds and big fish of 2.19 pounds. Second place went to Eric and Nate.
In Tuesday’s tournament, first place went to Fred with 6.8 pounds and big fish of a 6.81 pounds. Second place went to Nate and Eric with 5.82 pounds.
Until next week, have a safe Labor Day weekend. Tight lines, and as Hurricane Anna would say, “Pop’s Boat!”
Marty Dixon is a 1982 Sardis High School graduate and retired high school educator and coach. He was head coach of the Gadsden State women’s basketball team from 2015 to 2019. He and his wife Texann live in Gadsden. He can be contacted at and the Neely Henry Bass Fishing page on Facebook.

Latest News

Some holidays events in Gadsden rescheduled due to rain
Gadsden State Alumni Association accepting Alumni of the Year nominations
Magazine recognizes Sington as a ‘Top 10 Inspiring Leader’
New, improved Gadsden Land Bank Authority process includes new property software
American Pickers to film in Alabama

Latest Sports News

Gadsden State at 11-4 on the season
Lady Cardinals beat Wallace-Selma
In & around SEC football: Conference championship preview
Etowah youth football team wins national championship
Local girls basketball roundup