By Danny Crownover
There are two springs at Third Street and Tuscaloosa Avenue, sometimes known as Ewing Avenue, that are of historical interest, but it is doubtful if many citizens know of their existence.
They are historical because the inspire the first name of this community – Double Springs.
Gabriel Hughes, one of the founders of Gadsden, settled there when he purchased the log home of William Walker who in 1836 or earlier, purchased it from John Riley, of the Cherokee Nation.
One of those springs is a bold one and furnishes much water for ice making. The other is a small one, but both are always flowing. Both merges under a parking lot and exits in a ditch on a side street.
Just behind where the old Morris Hotel once was on Third and Bay streets is the old Katy Hughes spring which was the scene of many picnics in the good old days.
It furnished drinking water for many families in that part of town for a good many years.
The Standifer Spring at Tuscaloosa Avenue and Fifth Street was in great use during the early days of Gadsden and was the scene of many picnicking and barbeques.
Spoon Motlow, who opened a saloon downtown several years ago, also operated a distillery at Fifth Street. He became a millionaires.
Sulphur Spring on Mineral Avenue on the west bank of Black Creek was famous in the early days. Its water was about as strongly impregnated with Sulphur as any to be found in the state. It was also the scene of many picnics and outings. It disappeared years ago through non-use and neglect.
Contact The Vagabond at email@example.com.