Photo: Ashville High’s Emma Drinkard, Emma Thompson (pictured at center, sitting), Kathleen McCarthy and Taylor Knight (center, standing) gather at the medal podium after winning the girls 4×800-meter relay event at the Yellow Jacket Invitational track and field meet last Saturday (March 5) at Oxford. (Chris McCarthy/Messenger)
Several Ashville High athletes medaled at the Yellow Jacket Invitational track and field meet last Saturday (March 5) at Oxford.
Emma Drinkard took home two gold medals and one third-place bronze. She won the girls 100-yard dash event with a time of 13.12, while she and teammates Kathleen McCarthy, Emma Thompson and Taylor Knight won the girls 4×800 relay at 10:53.77. Drinkard finished third in the girls 200-meter dash with a time of 27.94.
Earning the second-place silver was the boys 4×800-meter relay team of Wyatt Knight, Clayton Knight, Joe Stevens and Ashton Vann with a time of 8:51.79.
Taking the bronze were Taylor Knight in the girls 1600-meter run (5:44.55), Wyatt Knight in the boys 800-meter run (2:09.10) and Joe Stevens in the boys 3200-meter run (10:31.43).
Other top 10 performances by the Bulldogs were:
* Girls high jump: Lydia Northam, fourth, 4-06.00
* Boys 4×400-meter relay: Wyatt Knight, Ashton Vann, Travis Smith and Kanton White, fourth, 3:48.79
* Girls shot put: Mya Beason, fifth, 24-03.00
* Boys 3200-meter run: Clayton Knight, fifth, 11:36.09; Bruce Pantoja, seventh, 11:39.95; Ryan Matthews, eighth, 12:04.61
* Girls 800-meter run: Kathleen McCarthy, sixth, 2:45.97
* Boys 400-meter dash: Kanyon White, sixth, 55.59
* Girls triple jump: Abby Smith, seventh, 21-1
* Girls high jump: Abby Smith, seventh, 4-02.00; Alora White, eighth, 4-00.00
* Boys shot put: Ashton Mostella, seventh, 35-00.00
* Girls 1600-meter run: Emma Thompson, ninth, 6:56.46
* Boys javelin: Jonah Carden, ninth, 105-04; Ashton Mostella, 10th, 105-03
* Girls discus: Jamika Lee, ninth, 51-03; Mya Beason, 10th, 50-07
* Boys discus: Jonah Carden, ninth, 90-07.50
* Boys 1600-meter run: Auggie Lemonds, 10th, 5:28.85
* Boys triple jump: Auggie Lemonds, 10th, 32-08.00